Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 Parenting Resolutions

So it's a new year. As always, we start to think on December 31st about what we have accomplished in the past year and how we'd like to make the new year a better one. Most of the time, our resolutions are personal ones. I want to lose that baby weight. I resolve to take some time just for me. I will have a more positive outlook.


This year, in addition to my own 'personal' resolutions, I decided to make some parenting resolutions. Our family is entering a year of huge growth, both physically and emotionally. On the one hand, we have a 2 1/2 year-old toddler who is learning to have his own ideas and desires. More often than not, these can lead to tantrums and wailing when things don't turn out exactly as he desired. On the other hand, we have a 9-month old little boy who is meeting physical milestones every day. It's not enough to crawl now; he also wants to cruise furniture and climb stairs and stand all on his own! It's exhausting and exhilarating, all at the same time.



To better meet the needs of these two fantastic boys, I resolve the following:



1) To have more patience
Too often, I find myself raising my voice or mentally withdrawing in the midst of a tantrum by Big B or a meltdown by Little L. They don't deserve a stretched-too-thin Mama that yells at the slightest provocation. They deserve to have their needs met by an understanding Mama: one who has set clear limits and can enforce both consequences and rewards in the same calm, patient manner.

2) To read books to each boy, individually, every day
I don't foresee this resolution to be a big stretch in our daily routine. I love to read, and Big B loves to have books read to him! Little L, however, is more of a mover and shaker, so getting him to cuddle close and listen to The Very Hungry Caterpillar or Are You My Mother? is more of a challenge. I feel that taking the time to read to both boys individually will allow them one-on-one snuggle time with their parents and reinforce the idea that they are cherished, individually, for their own unique personalities.

3) To find 'teachable' moments in every day
As Big B gets closer to preschool age and is becoming more curious about the world around him, again it is easy to find these moments in each day. The challenge will be incorporating Little L into the mix and allowing him to learn about the world in his own manner.

4) To be more demonstrative in my praise, love, and gratitude to them for all they do
All children deserve unconditional love. All children deserve to know when they are doing something great and when they have enriched someone's life. I believe my children respond well to physical demonstrations of praise, whether it be a high five or fist bump for helping clean up toys, or a quick snuggle for showing us just how quickly he can climb up the stairs. My children respond so positively to hugs and cuddles and kisses that it just makes sense to use these tools more often!

Here's to a great 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment