Saturday, February 14, 2015

Valentine's Day in a mirror

Last night, J and I quickly put together small "Valentine's" for the boys and set them out on the breakfast bar for them to see when they got up this morning.



I had found two plastic tumbler glasses on clearance at Target (something ridiculous, like $1.50 each) and we had been looking to replace some of their wonky older cups which are starting to crack or warp anyway. I found some pink candy corn at Marshall's with my mom a few weeks ago, and then got some chocolate candy hearts to fill into the cup, along with some bubbles for each boy that we had remaining from L's school valentines. Wrapped up in plastic and tied with a sparkly red ribbon, we were all set!

The boys were excited to see them this morning; L said "Ooooh!! Woww!" in an appreciative whisper. B was confused by the "XOXO" written on his little note, and he gave us a cute little stink eye, but was more than happy to try out one of the chocolate hearts as a special V-day breakfast treat.

We don't really go all out for V-day between J and I, so we just got each other little cards. I found a blank card with a glitter heart and J printed out a card with a picture of a very roly-poly baby L on it for me. Then we individually sat down to write a little love note to each other and left them for the spouse to find and read.



Apparently, both J and I are the same person. We both opened the note with "Happy Valentine's Day, darling!" which is an endearment that we use for each other, although not often. Then each card wrote about how much we're looking forward to spending a quiet day at home with lots of close family time and good food, and BOTH OF US closed with how lucky we feel to have found each other. J even got literary with "You are my missing piece". Awww. So we read the cards and then looked at each other, and I of course burst out giggling.

Who knew that after nearly 9 years of marriage (and a total time together of 14 years) that we would become the same person? The plan for the rest of the day includes wearing red or white or pink, making Daddy some homemade Almond Joys, and then having a dinner of risotto with asparagus, special fizzy drink, and I'm going to attempt a strawberry pie. Cross your fingers on that one, I don't have very good luck with making pies!

No comments:

Post a Comment