Thursday, December 31, 2020

2020 Reading Log Quarter 4 (Oct-Dec)

 Finishing the year off strong by forcing myself to finish two in-progress books on the last day of the year!


Actual Books

44. River Horse, William Least Heat-Moon. A memoir of crossing from the Atlantic to Pacific coasts in a small boat using only rivers. Long-winded, but some of the descriptions of locations were gorgeous.

45. For One More Day, Mitch Albom. Author of Tuesdays with Morrie, a story about a man who gets a second chance to look back on his life and reflect on his struggles.

46. The Testaments, Margaret Atwood. Sequel to The Handmaid's Tale, given to my by the public library after completing the adult summer reading program. Atwood is always great.

47. Toscanini's Fumble and other tales of Clinical Neurology, Harold Klawans. Short case-studies from a physician who participated in some of the first clinical trials with Levodopa therapy in Parkinson's. Great reading!

48.  The Program: Inside the Mind of Keith Raniere and the Rise and Fall of NXIVM, Toni Natalie. The trial caught my attention one day, so I requested this book. Creepy guy, creepy people who followed him.

49. Poisons of the Past: Molds, Epidemics, and History, Mary Kilbourne Matossian. I think this is a PhD thesis turned into book, but her premise is that ergot poisoning led to lower fertility rates and mental illnesses throughout Europe until rye flour became less utilized.

50. Where the Rekohu Bone Sings, Tina Makereti. Historical fiction about the descendants of the Maori and Maoriori in New Zealand and the downfall of both cultures after colonization. Great reading.

51. Pale Horse, Pale Rider, Katherine Anne Porter. Three short stories, one about the influenza pandemic of 1918. 

52. Uprooted, Naomi Novik. So, so good about a magical forest that captures people and a hearth witch coming into her powers. 

53. The Hills have Spies, Mercedes Lackey. Started off better than finished, or maybe I just was able to see through the plot twists.

54. Dioscorides on Pharmacy and Medicine, John Riddle. Have been meaning to read this one for literally YEARS, it's been on my bedside table. 2020 was the year I finally picked it up and finished!

55. A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, Roseanne Brown. Just finished today in the nick of time, a story about Black Girl Magic and based on African folk tales. I liked it! There's a sequel that I may try to request. 

56. Love and Theft, Stan Parish. For "research" during NaNo. Also a bunch of smutty romance that I didn't bother to note down.

57. The Gift of Failure: How the Best Parents Learn to Let Go So Their Children Can Succeed, Jessica Lahey. Read as part of a library program for parents. I did NOT like this book and kept arguing with the author in my head.


Books Read to Boys

58. Magician's Gambit, David Eddings. Book 3 of The Belgariad.

59. The Witches, Ronald Dahl. In honor of October and Halloween, we read a "scary" book together. 

60. Castle of Wizardry, David Eddings. Book 4 of The Belgariad. We are so close to being able to finish this whole series, but won't make it for 2020!


Audiobooks

61. The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas. Oh My Aching Head, this was SO TERRIBLE to listen to, and probably wouldn't have been much better to read. Not sure this meets the definition of a "classic". It was terrible. Do NOT recommend!


In 2017, I read 55 books through the year.

In 2018, I read 70 books through the year.

In 2019, I read 57 books through the year.

In 2020, I have read 61 books (set a goal for 60, so pretty good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment