Wednesday, October 25, 2023

2023 Reading Log, Quarter 3 (Jul-Sept)

 Starting this Quarter off with 32...


Actual Books:

32. The Broken Earth Trilogy, N.K Jemisin. A repeat, still just as good!

33. The Innkeeper's Song, Peter S. Beagle. Another repeat, not quite as good.

34. Blood Orange Night: My Journey to the Edge of Madness, Melissa Bond. A memoir about benzodiazepine dependence after treatment for insomnia. Would have been a lot better without the overblown emotional hysteria of the author's marriage falling apart.

35. The Mayfair Witch Series, Anne Rice. On the recommendation of Desiree. The first of the trilogy had a middle section that was WAY TOO LONG... a detailed 400-year history of a family's association with a demon-ghost. 

36. The Black Jewels Trilogy, Anne Bishop. Another summer re-read.

37. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, David Wrobleweski. A deaf boy raising award-winning dogs who gets caught up in a dysfunctional family dynamic between his father and uncle.

38. Dreams Made Flesh, Anne Bishop. A collection of short stories written after The Black Jewels. 

39. Horse, Geraldine Brooks. A once-in-a-generation racehorse raised at the outbreak of the Civil War, and a portrait discovered 200 years later. 

Ebooks/Audiobooks:

40. Cradle of the Deep, Dietrich Kaltais. This was a mystery available at the time, and we didn't enjoy it. Audiobook we listened to on various car trips... mobster crime boss and deceitful girlfriend, set in the 70s. Obviously an homage to the author's youth, not my favorite.

41. Heir of Fire, Sarah J. Maas. I'm slowly making my way through the Glass Throne series. It's ok.

42. Queen of Shadows, Sarah J. Maas. This one was a slow-moving addition to Heir of Fire, above. 

43. Summer Knight, Jim Butcher. Audiobook we listen to during long car rides. We are slowly working through The Dresden Files. 

44. Remarkably Bright Creatures, Shelby Van Pelt. I've seen this on other's reading lists. It was a good, well-paced, short read.

Books read to Kids:

45. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, J.K. Rowling. Beginning this series with the kids!

46. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, J.K. Rowling.


Comparisons for the end of Quarter 3:

In 2016, I had read 28 books at this point

In 2017, I had read 35 books at this point

In 2018, I had read 59 books at this point (nursing infant CC all hours of day and night!)

In 2019, I had read 39 books at this point

In 2020, I had read 43 books at this point

In 2021, I had read 55 books at this point

In 2022, I had read 45 books at this point

No comments:

Post a Comment