During Quarter 1, I had finished 18 books. Starting off Quarter 3 with...
Actual books:
19. The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger-- because it's on The 100 Greatest Books list from PBS. I heartily disagree. I really disliked the protagonist of the book and thought he was selfish, vapid, and boring.
20. The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern. Liked this, but not as much as The Starless Sea
21. The Erratics: A Memoir, Vicki Laveau-Harvie. Saw this on a "summer reading list" a few years ago. It was ok, but I never really felt like the author got into the "meat" of her problem with her narcissist mother.
22. Thrivers, Michele Borba. For the library mother reading club. I found some parts interesting, but a lot was repetitive.
23. The Book of Essie, Meghan MacLean Weir. Another from a "summer reading list" that I liked better. A daughter of a fundamentalist Christian reality TV family reveals their dark secret to the entire watching world.
24. It Came from Schenectady, Barry B Longyear. On the recommendation of my boss. A collection of short stories-- some better, some worse.
25. Dragonriders of Pern #1 (Dragonflight) and #2 (Dragonquest), Anne McCaffrey. The 30th re-reading of these books, but haven't finished the trilogy yet. Ben finally read the first book and enjoyed it.
26. Bless Me, Ultima, Rudolfo Anaya. On the 100 Best books list, this one deserved to be there. A coming-of-age story set in Northern Mexico or New Mexico in a Latino boy learning more about his indigenous ancestry.
27. The Hunger Games Trilogy, Suzanne Collins. Ben read through these on the recommendation of his friends at school, so I also read and we watched the movies together. A bit violent and adult-themed for him, but still a good story.
28. The Child Thief, Brom. On the recommendation of Desiree. Didn't like this as much as I thought I would-- a gritty, realistic re-telling of the Peter Pan mythology.
29. The Broken Earth trilogy, N.K. Jemisin. On the recommendation of Gail Snitkoff, this trilogy was AWESOME. Wow. Left me thinking after the end.
30. Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand. I've listed this one before, but only finished Part I using the audiobook. It was dreadfully dull listening and equally dull reading. I really feel that she could have told her story in a compelling fashion and made her "philosophical points" and "moral premises" in 1/4 of the text. Yuck.
31. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, Suzanne Collins. The Hunger Games prequel, telling the back story of the President Snow from the original trilogy. Gave some insights into his formative years to put together why he may have developed into the evil dictator we all know and love. I found some large holes in the story that could have allowed him to make different choices and develop in different ways, but...
E-Books:
32. Just One Damned Thing After Another, Jodi Taylor. Apparently, first in a series of time-hopping historians who go back to the Jurassic Period and are fighting against another, evil time-hopping historian group. Some good points, some drudgery.
33. The Inheritance Trilogy, N.K. Jemisin. After reading the Broken Earth books I had to devour this other trilogy by the same author. Fast reading, engrossing story, detailed characters. I loved it!
34. The Reckless Oath We Made, Bryn Greenwood. On a "summer reading list", this one was about a girl on the edge of poverty befriending an autistic boy who speaks in Middle English and starts a rescue mission for a sister taken hostage by escaped prisoners.
Books read to boys:
35. The Horse and His Boy (Narnia #3), CS Lewis. Wow, this one had a lot of racially charged writing! Not the best story, either.
36. Prince Caspian (Narnia #4), CS Lewis. A bit better and it helped there was a movie to watch along with it!
37. Wishtree, Katherine Applegate. Through a grant with the library, each family at the elementary school was sent home with a copy to read and the children traveled to the village park to hang their wishes on our own "wishtree". Cute story.
38. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Narnia #5), CS Lewis. Ok, a bit of a dull story (they spend a lot of days on a ship and never seem to get bored of it). Another movie to watch after finishing.
2016-- I had finished 17 books
2017-- I had finished 25 books
2018-- I had finished 37 books
No comments:
Post a Comment