My 2022 goal is to read 65 books. At the end of Quarter 1, I had finished 15 books. Here's Quarter 2!
Actual books:
15. Infidel, Ayaan Hirsan Ali; memoir of growing up in an African Islamic family
16. The Light of Days: The Untold Story of Women Resistance Fighters in Hitler's Ghettos, Judy Batalion; narrative non-fiction of Jewish women resistance fighters who lived, worked, and fought back in various WW2 ghettos in Poland. Some survived, most did not.
17. Where the Crawdads Sing, Delia Owens; This one is being made into a movie, thought I'd get a head start on reading it. Decent murder mystery.
18. The Nightingale, Kristin Hannah; Another WW2 women resistance story, this one fiction and set in France.
19. Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith, Jon Krakauer; Another one to read in advance of a Netflix series dropping. I generally enjoy Krakauer's work and have read several of his books. This one did a little more historical referencing to the origins of the Mormon faith and mythology before analyzing how the Lafferty brothers went off the deep end into cultism.
20. The Girl with the Louding Voice, Abi Dare; a girl in Nigeria who is married off by her father, escapes into working as a housemaid, only to break free of that and pursue her own education.
21. Sassinak, Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Moon; a re-read picked up from my parent's house during a visit. Still just as good decades later.
Books read to the kids:
None. Super J had his own reading that he needed to do aloud each night, and those stories were generally pretty short.
E-books:
22. The Millennium Trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl who Played with Fire, The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest), Steig Larsson. A re-read and still just as good.
23. The Witch's Kind, Louisa Morgan; Post-WW2 Pacific Northwest, a woman and her aunt who have magical blood adopt a half-mer baby; also some domestic violence woven in
24.The Widow of Pale Harbor, Hester Fox; a woman recluse suspected of murdering her husband (spoiler: she is partially responsible) and an actual murderer setting up victims in line with Edgar Allen Poe poems and short stories
25. Of Blood and Bone, Nora Roberts; 2nd in the pandemic-magic trilogy, this one is about the mythically foretold "the One" growing up and beginning training in both the martial and magical arts.
26. Duke of Midnight, Elizabeth Hoyt; finished last night so just in time. Romance with some smut set in 1700s England with all the class restrictions and lack of women's ability to do anything on their own. *yawn*
I currently have 2 books in progress (and didn't include 2 here because I'd rather list them as a trilogy as above), so I'm making decent headway toward my yearly goal. Once my summer course is finished (looking forward to Friday!), I should have more time in the hottest parts of the day to lazily read and get caught up. Also starting to read aloud to the kids again at night, so am excited for those books to join this list!
To compare, at the end of Quarter 2 in:
2016-- I had finished 17 books
2017-- I had finished 25 books
2018-- I had finished 37 books
2019-- I had finished 28 books
2020-- I had finished 27 books
2021-- I had finished 38 books
No comments:
Post a Comment