Monday, March 26, 2018

2018 Reading List: Quarter 1 (Jan-Mar)

I'm beginning to tally up my reading list for 2018. Here goes nothing:



Audiobooks:
1) Feast of Sorrow, Crystal King -- about a chef during the Roman Empire
2) The Passion of Dolssa, Julie Berry -- Impact of the Inquisition in Southern France and Spain (see: The Albigensian Crusade)
3) The Night Strangers, Chris Bohjalian -- A thriller about a pilot who survived a plane crash and a group of herbalists pursuing the Fountain of Youth
4) Ship of Magic, Robin Hobb (technically didn't finish this one, but we were most of the way done with it during our long drive to and from Florida)
5) At the Edge of the Orchard, Tracy Chevalier -- Farming and expansion across the Western United States, post-Civil War

Regular books:
6) Evicted: poverty and profit in the American city; Matthew Desmond -- He followed several tenant families and landlords to write about the struggle to survive and live in sub-standard rental housing
7) Random family: love, drugs, trouble and coming of age in the Bronx, Adrian Nicole LeBlanc-- What's funny about this one is that I requested it and began reading, then realized that I'd previously read 3/4 of this during my shifts working at the Clarkson library back in freshman year. I never got to finish it, probably because the semester ended and I went home for break. It was nice to finally read to the end!
8) Hidden figures: the American dream and the untold story of the Black mathematicians who helped win the space race, Margot Lee Shetterly-- Simply amazing.
9) The hands-on home: a seasonal guide to cooking, preserving & natural homekeeping, Erica Strauss-- Finally got a good non-toxic oven cleaner recipe! Made me think again about going back to baking soda/vinegar for cleaning my hair...
10) I capture the castle, Dodie Smith -- Post-WWII adolescent girl journal. It was ok.
11) Rosamund, Betrice Small -- Not her best work.
12) The magician king, Lev Grossman -- We watched the 2nd season of "The Magicians" (Syfy) on Netflix and I thought I ought to go back and read the actual books. Harry Potter with a potty mouth.
13) Percy Jackson & the Olympians 3: The Titan's curse-- Read aloud to the boys before bed.

E-books:
14) What the dead leave behind, Rosemary Simpson -- Mystery, Gilded Era NYC

I won't be finishing anything else before the end of the month, as I just started a new hardcover for pre-bed reading and a new audiobook for my commutes. The boys and I are working on Percy Jackson #4, but that will take us several more weeks to get through!
In 2017, my Quarter 1 total was 11, but I hadn't started listening to audiobooks during my commutes yet (only during long trips).
In 2016, my Quarter 1 total was 11, but that included through April because I forgot to tally in March. I would say I'm on track for another great year of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment