My 2022 goal for books is 65... just over 5 per month. Let's see how things stacked up.
Actual Books:
1. Sourdough, Robin Sloane. Magic sourdough starter that sings and can alter lives.
2. The Killing Moon, NK Jemisin; pseudo-Egyptian sleep/death cult which uses dreams as magical energy.
3. Silent Spring, Rachel Carson; This had been sitting on my nightstand for years, and I finally pushed through it. I can see how it would be a powerful serialized set of essays in magazine or newspaper in the 1960s but as a book it was a little bit too much.
4. The Shadowed Sun, NK Jemisin; second in the sleep/death cult series
5. Dune, Frank Herbert; my father passed the paperback to B in San Antonio and I stole it to re-read after we watched the new movie adaptation. Still just as good as I remembered!
6. The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance during the Blitz, Erik Larson; a thorough covering of the personal lives of Churchill and his inner circle during the Blitz in London, 1941-1942. Interesting to see how much the Prime Minister was still able to have champagne and cigars when the rest of the country was rationed but also excerpts from journals and letters of the time showing just how dark and awful life was.
7. The City We Became, NK Jemisin; because I obviously must read everything this author has ever written. Interesting, very recently published, about how "real" cities have lives and avatars that defend them against an evil multiverse. Not sure I truly understand all that was underlying the setting, but still a good read.
8. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, Taylor Jenkins Reid; a 1950s film starlet is actually bisexual, but must hide her love for her female soulmate with multiple marriages to unsuitable men.
Books read to Littles:
9. Charlotte's Web, EB White; a classic that J and CC enjoyed.
10. Tales from the Brother's Grimm; more classics, including some fairy tales I'd never heard before
E-books:
11. Go Tell the Bees that I am Gone (Outlander #9), Diana Gabaldon; started during our trip to San Antonio because I could get it electronically and knew I'd have time in airports to read. Finally finished during January quarantine. Not my favorite Outlander, by far, but I think the quality has been declining over the past several books.
12. Love, Lies, and Spies, Cindy Anstey; your standard Regency-era historical fiction romance, with some bug research and spy intrigue thrown in to make it palatable.
13. Sweet & Bitter Magic, Adrienne Tooley; lesbian witches? I don't know. It was ok.
14. A Madness of Sunshine, Nalini Singh; was introduced to this author through some very smutty rugby romance novels, but this murder mystery set in New Zealand was very good.
15. Year One, Nora Roberts; a pandemic annihilates 80% of humanity and some of the survivors develop magic. I guess it's part of a trilogy? Still too early for me to be reading pandemic-focused literature though.
How does this year compare so far?
At the end of Quarter 1 in:
2016, I read: 11 (included April);
2017, I read: 11;
2018, I read: 14;
2019, I read: 11;
2020, I read: 13
2021, I read: 18
No comments:
Post a Comment