Saturday, October 1, 2022

2022 Reading Log, Quarter 3 (Jul-Sept)

 

At the end of Quarter 2 (June), I was at 26 books. Starting Q3 with...

Actual Books:

27. Generation Warriors (Planet Pirates #3), Anne McCaffrey. Apparently, she had "finished" this trilogy with a book I'd never heard of. It was... ok. I liked Sassinak the best.

28. Dune Messiah & Children of Dune, Frank Herbert. Following up my reading with my favorite books of the quartet. I still think Dune Messiah is the best. Will need to finish off with God Emperor of Dune soon, and apparently there are more books in this universe written by Herbert's son that I've never touched.

29. Wild Beauty, Anna-Marie McLemore. On Desiree's bookshelf. About a family of women who have plant-growing powers but have been mis-characterized as witches for generations.

30. The Jason Bourne Trilogy (Bourne Identity, Bourne Supremacy, Bourne Ultimatum), Robert Ludlum. I had previously read this trilogy when the movies were coming out. I thought I liked them better, upon re-reading they were tiresome and with a lot of circuitous logic.

31. The Rise of Magicks, Nora Roberts. Finished off the trilogy, the 1st book was the best.  

32. Cinder, Marissa Meyer. Re-imagining classic fairy tales in a modern, cyborg world. It was passably good

33. The Tower & Hive series (The Rowan, Damia, Damia's Children, Lyon's Pride, The Tower and the Hive), Anne McCaffrey. Another good re-read.

34. The Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett. LONG (over 1000 pages) historical fiction about the building of cathedrals in Middle Ages-era England. Some was decent, the characters were bland and one-dimensional.

35. Picking Cotton: Our Memoir of Injustice and Redemption, Jennifer Cannon-Thompson and Rob Cotton. Memoir written from two perspectives: one a rape victim who mistakenly identified the perpetrator in a line up, the other an innocent man found guilty and imprisoned for nearly two decades.

36. The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America, Erik Larson. An in-depth overview of the Columbian Exposition of 1892 in Chicago and the serial killer operating in the midst of the fair. 

37. The Silent Patient, Alex Michaelides. I could not put this book down. It was a page-turner and I was stunned at the end with the killer. 

38. Verity, Colleen Hoover. A struggling author is tasked with finishing a multi-book series for an incapacitated author. During her research into the author's notes, she finds a memoir manuscript which shows the author is a pretty terrible wife and mother. Chaos ensues.

39. Harlem Shuffle, Colson Whitehead. I like this author's works. This one wasn't my favorite, but it was real and I could envision the characters and their environment and understand/identify with their choices.

E-Books/Audiobooks:

40. Still Life, Louise Penny. Listened to this on our family vacation to Hershey, PA. Great thriller, even though Jake guessed the murderer in the first hour.

41. The Other Side of the Sky and Beyond the End of the World (duology), Amie Kaufman. YA romance about two civilizations who diverged centuries ago and inhabit different regions of the world (sky versus ground). Interesting read about how the different cultures evolved and their oral/written history.

42. The Midnight Library, Matt Haig. A woman between life and death can choose to inhabit and experience different lives based on the multitude of different choices she could have made throughout her existence.

43. Child of Light, Terry Brooks. *Yawn* It passed the time, but I was not invested in the characters or their story line at all.

44. Grave Peril, Jim Butcher. Another audiobook to keep us awake through the long hours of driving here, there, and everywhere this summer. There's enough funny one-liners to keep us smiling, and the plot (while incredulous at times) is varied enough to keep things interesting.

Books read to Kids:

45. The Wild Robot and The Wild Robot Escapes, Peter Brown. It took us all summer (and all of September!), but we read through these two books with James and Celia. 

I'm on track to reach my (revised) goal of 65 books for this year. 


Comparisons for the end of Quarter 3:

In 2016, I had read 28 books at this point

In 2017, I had read 35 books at this point

In 2018, I had read 59 books at this point (nursing infant CC all hours of day and night!)

In 2019, I had read 39 books at this point

In 2020, I had read 43 books at this point

In 2021, I had read 55 books at this point

No comments:

Post a Comment